42 killed in landmine explosion, paramilitary attacks in C. Sudan: volunteer groups
In central Sudan, at least 42 civilians were killed in a landmine explosion in Sinnar State on Friday and two attacks by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in Gezira State over the past two days, local volunteer groups reported Friday.
The Al-Suki Emergency Room, a volunteer group in Al-Suki city in Sennar State, said in a statement that “13 people from the Al-Suki area were killed and many others injured when a landmine exploded in their pickup truck in the Jebel Moya area.”
The victims were on a trip to search for cars and equipment that had been stolen from Al-Suki to Jebel Moya, it added.
On October 5, the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) said it had retaken the strategic Jebel Moya area in Sinnar, a crossroads linking Gezira, White Nile, and Sinnar states. The recapture of Jebel Moya enabled the SAF to besiege the RSF fighters in Sinnar and cut off their supply lines.
Meanwhile, 29 civilians were killed on Wednesday and Thursday in RSF attacks on several villages in Gezira State, volunteer groups said.
“The RSF militia attacked the village of Wad Hussein Al-Halaween in Al-Housh area south of Gezira State yesterday (Thursday),” the Gezira Conference, a local non-governmental group monitoring violations in central Sudan, said in a statement.
“The militia bombarded the village before storming it and killing five citizens, including two who were run over by a vehicle while they were tied up,” the group said.
The Gezira Conference, as well as another local volunteer group Nidaa Al-Wasat Platform, both reported that armed RSF forces riding motorcycles and combat vehicles also attacked several villages in the Al-Huda Administration of Al-Managil locality in Gezira on Wednesday, killing 24 civilians and injuring about 30 others.
The RSF has not commented on these incidents.
Sudan has been gripped by a devastating conflict between the SAF and the RSF since mid-April 2023.
The deadly conflict has resulted in more than 28,700 deaths and displaced over 14 million people, either inside or outside Sudan, according to latest estimates by international organizations.