Ugandan president drops military commander after controversial social media post

Lt. Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the commander of the land forces of the Uganda People's Defence Force. /AFP
Lt. Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the commander of the land forces of the Uganda People’s Defence Force. /AFP

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni on Tuesday sacked Muhoozi Kainerugaba, Commander of Land Forces, after the latter posted tweets saying that his army “would only need two weeks to capture the Kenyan capital Nairobi.”

The Ugandan military in a statement issued here said Museveni replaced Kainerugaba, who is also his son, with Kayanja Muhanga who has been promoted to Lieutenant General. Muhanga has been heading the military offensive against negative forces in the neighboring eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo.

According to the statement, Kainerugaba will continue working in the position of Senior Presidential Advisor for Special Operations.

Earlier on Tuesday, Uganda’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the public to ignore the heated social media debate following Kainerugaba’s tweet. The ministry said the bilateral ties are strong, based on shared history, common values, mutual respect, trust and the desire to build a unified East African Community.

“The government of the Republic of Uganda wishes to reiterate its commitment to good neighborliness, peaceful coexistence, and cooperation,” the ministry said in a statement.