South Sudan’s health authorities, with support from the World Health Organization (WHO), said they have sent three samples out of five unconfirmed cases of Ebola to South Africa for testing.
The dispatch comes as Uganda continues to battle an outbreak of the deadly disease, which was first reported on September 20 in the Mubende district. So far 38 cases have been confirmed in the East African country with eight deaths officially reported.
Alex Freeman, the Head of the WHO Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC), told journalists in Juba that South Sudan had raised the levels of preparedness to detect, isolate and manage suspected Ebola viral disease (EVD) cases.
Mabior Kiir, the Manager for the Public Health Emergency Operation Center, said the five suspected cases were detected in the states of Eastern Equatoria, Western Equatoria, and Central Equatoria.