Three ADF militants killed in joint UN, Congolese security operation

Congolese Army Soldiers and UN troops inspect an ambush site where an hour previously ADF fundamentalist rebels attacked two vehicles on the road between Beni and the Ugandan border town of Kasindi, on April 9, 2021 in Kilya, Rwenzori Sector, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Brent Stirton/Getty Images


Three militants from the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) were killed in a joint security operation in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo by the Congolese army (FARDC) and the United Nations mission in the DR Congo (MONUSCO).

MONUSCO said the operation, which took place on Monday in Mukasa in Beni region, also saw several guns recovered.

FILE PHOTO: Congolese army soldiers and UN troops inspect an ambush site where rebels staged an attack between Beni and the Ugandan border town of Kasindi. /Getty Images

The UN mission added that sweep operations in the area were being conducted to flush out the militants.

Meanwhile, the UN human rights office (OHCHR) appealed to authorities in the DR Congo to ensure civilian protection following a recent spate of raids on camps for internally displaced persons.

Last week, an armed group, the Cooperative for the Development of Congo (CODECO), a group of various Lendu militia, killed more than 60 people, all members of the Hema ethnic community, at the Plaine Savo site in Ituri province.

“Following deadly attacks last week and further attempts over the weekend, there is significant risk that other IDP sites could be attacked as well,” OHCHR spokesperson Liz Throssell said.

More UN peacekeepers have been deployed to the Savo site and are conducting “robust” patrols in the area and MONUSCO is in communication with the military governor of Ituri province to discuss security arrangements and an increased presence of national security forces.

The OHCHR also warned of a potential retaliation by the Ituri Self-Defense Popular Front (FPAC-Zaire) armed group, mainly composed of members of the Hema community.

Retaliatory attacks between the Lendu and Hema erupted in 2017 after years of relative calm as tensions over land and other unresolved issues resurfaced.

(Story compiled with assistance from wire reports)