FIFA says opponents of 2-year World Cup fear losing top spot

The tournament's official logo for the 2022 Qatar World Cup is seen on the wall of an amphitheater, in Doha, Qatar, September 3, 2019. REUTERS/Naseem Zeitoun
FIFA World Cup Trophy is seen prior to the La Liga match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Rayo Vallecano.  /Quality Sport Images/Getty Images

Opponents of FIFA’s push for World Cups every two years seem scared of being toppled from the top of world soccer, its president Gianni Infantino said on Friday.

PARIS, FRANCE – JUNE 05: FIFA President Gianni Infantino arrives the congress during the 69th FIFA Congress at the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles in Paris, France on June 05, 2019. (Photo by Mustafa Yalcin/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

Infantino’s speech to African soccer leaders was a clear criticism of Europe and South America which have dominated every World Cup and are threatening a boycott of biennial men’s tournaments.

“Those who are against are those who are at the top,” Infantino told officials from the 54-nation Confederation of African Football meeting in Cairo.

“It happens in every sector of life, when there are reforms and changes, those who are at the top don’t want anything to change,” said Infantino, who was a long-time senior official at UEFA until being elected FIFA president in 2016. “They are afraid, maybe, that if something changes their leadership position is at risk.”

The tournament’s official logo for the 2022 Qatar World Cup is seen on the wall of an amphitheater, in Doha, Qatar, September 3, 2019. REUTERS/Naseem Zeitoun

Europe and South America have provided every team to play in all 21 World Cup finals since the first in 1930, and their historical strength has earned them at least 18 of the 32 entries at the 2022 edition in Qatar.

“We understand that and we compliment and applaud them for having been so successful in reaching the top,” Infantino said. “This is fantastic and they are an example for everyone. But at the same time, we cannot close the door (to others).”

No African team has reached a men’s World Cup semifinal and the continent has just five of the 32 entries. That rises to at least nine when the 48-team tournament debuts in 2026.

Infantino has pushed for biennial World Cups to help other regions develop and close the gap — by giving nations more chances to qualify and players more chances to perform on the biggest stage.

An extra men’s World Cup in a four-year cycle would likely add around $3 billion at current levels to FIFA income and increase funding to its 211 member federations and six continental bodies.

“It is our responsibility to keep the dream open to give opportunities to everyone,” the FIFA leaders said.

Soccer Football – World Cup – Final – France v Croatia – Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Russia – July 15, 2018 France’s Hugo Lloris lifts the trophy as they celebrate winning the World Cup REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Still, the backlash from all levels of European soccer since FIFA formally detailed its biennial plan in September led Infantino to say last month that any changes must be reached by consensus without doing harm to the game.

European and South American soccer officials see threats to the status of their own continental and domestic competitions and an increased workload for players.

Infantino hinted again on Friday that a modified tournament could be a solution to getting wider support.