U.N. chief condems military action in Guinea, calls for immediate release of President Alpha Conde

A screen grab of a CGTN news bulletin showing Guinea President Alpha Conde among soldiers believed to be among the special forces behind the military takeover of the Guinea government on Sunday 5 August, 2021.

The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the military action against the government by special forces, and called for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde.

“I am personally following the situation in Guinea very closely. I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde,” said Guterres.

President Conde was detained by the special forces earlier on Sunday, with Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, who has been identified as the head of the action, announcing the dissolution of the government, suspension of the constitution and the closure of the country’s borders.

Col. Doumbouya said the army had been forced to act because of poverty, endemic corruption, abuse of power and a lack of respect for democratic principles. The announcement followed heavy gunfire near the presidential palace in the capital Conakry.

Amateur videos have been circulating on social media showing President Conde among soldiers, with the country’s capital Conakry filled with troops.