World Rugby cancels Hong Kong 7s in November due to COVID-19

Rugby Ball Laying in Grass (Photo by Franck Seguin/Corbis/VCG via Getty Images)

This year’s Hong Kong Sevens leg of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series due to take place in November has been cancelled due to disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

FILE PHOTO: A rugby ball laying in the grass. (Photo by Franck Seguin/Corbis/VCG via Getty Images)

World Rugby said the decision was taken with health of the teams and general public as a “top priority” following discussions with the Hong Kong Rugby Union (HKRU), participating unions and relevant Hong Kong government bodies.

“Due to this uncertainty, travel restrictions and other impacts of the global pandemic, the Hong Kong Rugby Union (HKRU) and World Rugby have taken the difficult decision to cancel the Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2021, which was scheduled for 5-7 November,” World Rugby said in a statement.

The tournament will now take place next year between April 1-3.

World Rugby also announced that the Paris Sevens women’s event, which had been initially scheduled to take place in Marcoussis in May, will also not be held this year.

This year’s Series will resume on September 18-19 in Canada with the Vancouver Sevens men’s leg combined with a women’s fast-four tournament, following the conclusion of the Olympic Sevens tournament.

“The updated 2021 Series now includes five men’s and two women’s rounds planned to take place in the final four months of the year,” the statement added.

“World Rugby, tournament hosts and participating unions will continue to work closely with the relevant national governments and health agencies to ensure the safe and secure delivery of the scheduled events.”