Tanzania to conduct National Census exercise in August 2022

Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu Hassan addresses after swearing-in ceremony as the country's first female President after the sudden death of President John Magufuli at statehouse in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on March 19, 2021. - Hassan, 61, a soft-spoken Muslim woman from the island of Zanzibar, will finish Magufuli's second five-year term, set to run until 2025, after the sudden death of John Magufuli from an illness shrouded in mystery. (Photo by STR / AFP) (Photo by STR/AFP via Getty Images)

Tanzania will conduct the Population and Housing Census in the month of August next year.

President Samia Suluhu Hassan made the announcement Thursday, as she participated in the General Assembly of the Christian Community in Kilakala, Morogoro Region.

“This exercise is very important as without good statistics development plans will not be successful, I urge religious leaders to encourage citizens to participate in this national exercise.” The President said.

Data collected from the count will help the government obtain the basic information needed to implement the Development Vision 2025 initiative as well as other health and social reforms.

Zimbabwe Chief Statistician Mayasa Mwinyi says the census will be “a one of a kind” as the National Bureau of Statistics plans to use robust technology to conduct the exercise.

Tanzania will digitally collect data using tablets, instead of papers that were used in previous exercises.

The census is expected to cost at least 328 billion Tanzania shillings.

The government is paying 95 percent of the cost while the remaining 5 percent will be picked up by developing partners.

 

Story compiled with assistance from the Daily News Tanzania