Kenya to procure 10 million Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses

A vial of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. /Reuters

Kenya’s health ministry has announced that it is in the process of procuring 10 million Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine doses.

In a statement, Kenya’s health ministry Principal Secretary Susan Mochache said, “I want to assure all Kenyans yet to be vaccinated, that the government is in the process of procuring 10 million doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, through the African Union Mechanism, scheduled for delivery in coming August.”

The PS said this as the country received over 360,000 vaccine doses from the Dannish government.

She further stated that the country has thus far received 1.2 million doses of which close to 1.1 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered.

“This shows that we have used over 99% of the doses received and i am confident that the remaining 1% will be used by the end of this week.” Mochache added.

Saying that this means, none of the vaccines in the country will expire.

A total of 192,000 people have thus far received their second COVID-19 vaccine dose.