Prosecutor says there are no grounds to pursue claims of French role in Rwanda genocide

0
26
FILE - In this Friday, April 5, 2019 file photo, the names of those who were slaughtered as they sought refuge in the church, many with the same surname indicating a family, are written on a memorial to the thousands who were killed in and around the Catholic church during the 1994 genocide, outside the church in Ntarama, Rwanda. France's role before and during 1994's Rwandan genocide was a "monumental failure" that the country must face, the lead author of a sweeping report commissioned by President Emmanuel Macron said, as the country is about to open its archives from this period for the first time to the broader public. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis, File)

The French prosecutor’s department said on Monday that there were no grounds to pursue legal claims that France bore responsibility for enabling the 1994 genocide in Rwanda.

Rwanda last month published a report in which it said that France was aware that genocide was being prepared in Rwanda ahead of the killings.

France’s top prosecutor, Remy Heitz, said in a statement that investigations carried out by French authorities could not prove any complicity by French troops in the killings which were orchestrated by the Hutu-led government.

Between April and July 1994, some 800,000 people were killed, most from the ethnic Tutsi minority but also some moderate Hutus.

Ever since the genocide, critics of France’s role have said that then French President Francois Mitterrand failed to prevent the massacres or even supported the Hutu-led government.

Leave a Reply