New Delhi’s chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has announced a lockdown from 10 pm tonight (April 19) till 5 am next Monday (April 26).
“I appeal to Delhiites to follow lockdown which is necessary to reduce COVID cases; we will improve the health system during this time,” the chief minister said.
Kejriwal also appealed to migrant workers not to leave the city during ‘small lockdown’.
The Indian capital on Sunday recorded the biggest jump in its daily COVID-19 tally with 25,462 fresh cases as well as 161 deaths, while the positivity rate shot up to 29.74 per cent.
Last week, Kejriwal had announced New Delhi would remain shut this weekend to “break the chain of transmission”.
Auditoriums, restaurants, malls, gyms and spas would be shut down and movie theatres would be allowed with a third of their capacity on weekdays, Kejriwal had said, announcing other restrictions.
As a result of the surge of cases in India, The United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson has cancelled his trip to India scheduled for next week, Downing Street has confirmed.
Sky News reports that The British and Indian governments said in a joint statement: “In the light of the current coronavirus situation, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will not be able to travel to India next week.
Instead, Prime Ministers Modi and Johnson will speak later this month to agree and launch their ambitious plans for the future partnership between the UK and India.
They will remain in regular contact beyond this, and look forward to meeting in person later this year.”