Manchester City’s Belgian midfielder Kevin de Bruyne on Wednesday signed a new contract with the Premier League run-away leaders, extending his stay at the Etihad until 2025.
The 29-year-old still had more than two years on his previous deal, but City were eager to secure his services for longer.
“This football club is geared for success. It offers me everything I need to maximize my performance, so signing this contract was a straightforward decision. I am playing the best football of my career and I honestly feel there is more to come,” he said.
“My focus now is on ensuring we have a successful end to the current campaign. Our results and performances so far have been excellent, but we need to make sure we end the season with the silverware we deserve.”
De Bruyne has enjoyed a stellar spell since his arrival in Manchester in August 2015, helping the Cityzens to two Premier League titles, One FA Cup and four League Cup titles.
Manchester City’s Director of Football Txiki Begiristain hailed de Bruyne’s period at the club as “nothing short of extraordinary.”
“This is a very significant moment for this football club,” he said. “Kevin is, without question, one of the best players in world football. His performance level has been remarkably consistent since coming to City, and in the last few years he has developed into one of the game’s elite players.”
“We are delighted he is our player and I look forward to watching him during his peak years here at Manchester City,” he added.
The announcement of the new deal comes a few hours after de Bruyne led his side to a 2-1 first leg win over Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final.
The Belgian scored the game’s opener, before Dortmund levelled through Marco Reus late on, but the English side still had time to secure a win with a stoppage time Phil Foden goal.
City will travel to Germany on April 14 for the second leg, but before then, focus will shift back to the weekend Premier League clash with Leeds United.