Fate of dozens unclear following northern Mozambique attack

0
127

The fate of dozens of people who had taken refuge in a local hotel in Mozambique’s northern town of Palma remains unclear following an attack by Islamist insurgents on Saturday, human rights groups say.

Thousands of people are reported to have fled their homes following the attacks near a major gas development project involving international energy companies.

According to an AFP, the army has pulled back but fighting is ongoing in the area.

A Bloomberg reports says the militants attacked a security convoy attempting to rescue more than 180 people who’d been under siege in a hotel near the $20 billion liquefied natural gas project that Total SE is building.

Fighting in the Cabo Delgado Province has raged on for months, displacing more than 500,000 people last year.

In January, United Nations agencies said they were deeply worried about the current situation and called for the international community to do more to help.

(With input from agencies)

Leave a Reply