Somali minister survives landmine blast, 2 bodyguards hurt

0
129
Landmines and debris from historic fighting are seen during the bomb disposal in Jebel Lemuni, 15km south of Juba, South Sudan, on January 30, 2019. - A discovered unexploded bomb weighing approximately 80-90 kilogrammes was demolished under the control of the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) as the organisations set to destroy its one millionth explosive device in South Sudan. (Photo by Alex McBride / AFP) (Photo credit should read ALEX MCBRIDE/AFP/Getty Images)

A Somali minister survived a landmine blast in Mogadishu on Thursday night but two of his bodyguards were injured, a government official confirmed on Friday.

Labor minister Durran Ahmed Farah is safe after the explosion targeting his convoy at the KM-4 intersection in Mogadishu’s Hodan district, said government spokesman Ismael Mukhtar Omar.

“The minister is safe but two of his bodyguards were injured after the blast last night,” Omar told Xinhua over the phone.

Witnesses said the minister’s vehicle was destroyed after being hit by the landmine, which was planted on the roadside.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the latest attack in the restive capital, but al-Shabab terror group usually stages such attacks in the Horn of Africa nation.

The Qaida-allied group, which was driven out of Mogadishu by Somali army and African Union forces in 2011, still carries out attacks in the capital and in rural areas in central and southern Somalia.

Leave a Reply