Libyan Joint Military Commission agrees on cease-fire terms

Stephanie Williams, acting special representative of the UN Secretary General to Libya, said Tuesday that the Libyan Joint Military Commission has agreed on terms for the cease-fire implementation in the country.

A military subcommittee will be set up to supervise the return of forces back to their camps and the withdrawal of foreign forces from conflict lines, Williams told a press conference in the southwestern city of Ghadames.

This military subcommittee will hold its first meeting in the city of Sirte as soon as possible this month, in the presence of the Joint Military Commission and the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), she added.

Williams also said that a meeting will be held on Nov. 16 in the eastern city of Brega to unify the divided Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG), in the presence of the commanders of PFG, the chairman of the National Oil Corporation, and UNSMIL.

It has been agreed to exchange all prisoners, remove landmines in cooperation with the UN teams and the General Intelligence Service, combat hate speech, and immediately resume flights to the southern cities of Ghadames and Sabha, she said.

The Joint Military Commission will demand the UN Security Council expedite the issuance of a binding resolution obliging the parties to abide by the cease-fire agreement.

On Oct. 23, Williams announced that the Libyan delegations to the 5+5 Joint Military Commission talks in Geneva have signed a permanent cease-fire agreement.

Over the past two days, the city of Ghadames hosted the fifth round of the Joint Military Commission talks.

The eastern-based army and the UN-backed government had been engaged in a deadly armed conflict for more than a year in and around the capital Tripoli, which ended in early June with the UN-backed government announcing its takeover of all western Libya after withdrawal of the eastern-based army.