UNICEF deplores killing of two children by explosive devices in Libya capital

0
183
Security forces patrol in the south of the Libyan capital Tripoli on Jan. 18, 2019. UN officials have announced the resumption of talks aimed at bringing a close to the country's years-long civil conflict. (Xinhua)
File Photo: Security forces patrol in the south of the Libyan capital Tripoli on Jan. 18, 2019. This when, UN officials announced the resumption of talks aimed at bringing a close to the country’s years-long civil conflict. (Xinhua)

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Friday deplored the killing of two children by explosive devices in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.

Forces of the UN-backed government on Thursday said in a statement that two seven-year-old boys were killed by a landmine in their home in southern Tripoli.

“Landmines and explosive remnants of war continue to threaten the lives of many children in Libya,” the statement said.

“Children should be safe in their homes. This ongoing disregard for children’s safety should stop,” said UNICEF Special Representative to Libya Abdulkadir Musse.

The two rival forces of Libya — the eastern-based army and the UN-backed government — had been engaged in a deadly armed conflict for more than a year in and around Tripoli, which ended in early June with the latter announcing takeover of all western Libya after the former’s withdrawal.

The latter has accused the former of planting landmines in civilians’ homes before withdrawing from conflict areas.

Leave a Reply