Namibian President Hage Geingob on Wednesday called for vigilance against the possible emergence of a second wave of COVID-19 infections in the southern African country.
“We must… maintain our level of vigilance and alertness at all times,” Geingob told a briefing in the capital, Windhoek, on the pandemic and the county’s response measures.
He attributed the fall in positive cases in Namibia over the past four weeks to collective efforts against COVID-19.
“I commend Namibians for their patience, maturity and the responsibility they have displayed during these trying months,” Geingob said.
He said Namibia will gradually re-open its borders on a reciprocal basis; resume social activities, including contact sports activities; and re-open face-to-face instruction for schools and colleges where social distancing is feasible.
Namibia has so far reported 12,367 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
Of those, 10,528, or 85% have recovered, while 1,707, or 14% remain active.
The number of deaths related to the pandemic stands at 132.