Ebola cases in DR Congo rise to 74 in latest outbreak

Worker of center for disease control describing effects of ebola virus mutation.PHOTO/AP

At least 74 Ebola virus cases have been recorded in the latest outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the World Health Organization announced Thursday.

Through its official Twitter page, WHO African Region made the announcement saying that out of the 74 cases, 70 are confirmed and four are probable cases.

WHO also said that 32 deaths have been reported while 28 patients have recovered from the disease.

Since the start of the 11th Ebola outbreak in early June, the WHO office in the Central African country said that a total of 12,959 people had been vaccinated against the virus. WHO also said that it has deployed over 70 experts to support the fight against the virus.

North Kivu was hit by the second-largest outbreak in the world, on August 1st 2018, where there were 3,470 cases 2,287 deaths and 1,171 survivors, according to the WHO.

However, in June, the WHO and the DRC government the country free from the 10th outbreak.

Ebola, a tropical fever that first appeared in 1976 in Sudan and the DRC, is transmitted to humans from wild animals.

For several months, the DRC has been battling with several diseases including, Cholera, Ebola, Measles. Around one million people have also been vaccinated against cholera in a five-day campaign that was launched in DRC’s South Kivu province in late July.