South Sudan’s ministry of health confirmed the total number of COVID-19 recoveries has passed 1,000 on Thursday as the country intensifies mitigation measures to contain the pandemic.
Richard Lako, director-general for planning, budget and research in the Ministry of Health, who is also the incident manager said some 1,064 patients have been discharged from hospitals since the virus was reported in the country on April 5.
“In the last 24 hours, 86 samples were tested and results released, of these 16 tested positive, out of the new cases identified, 10 are male and six are female,” Lako said in a statement issued in Juba.
He also confirmed that the total number of deaths has reached 41 after one more patient succumbed to the deadly respiratory disease in the last 24 hours.
He added that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 infections in the world’s youngest nation has so far reached 2,129.
The official said the ministry of health has so far carried out 11,668 COVID-19 sample tests since April 5 when the first virus case was reported in the country.
Lako urged members of the public to adhere to regulations issued by the government in order to curb the spread of the disease and a full-contact tracing operation is underway.
South Sudan has closed all learning institutions, imposed a night curfew and introduced movement and transport restrictions as part of measures to contain the spread of the respiratory disease.