Kenya’s coronavirus death toll now stands at four after a six-year-old male child died. While making the announcement late on Friday, Chief Administrative Secretary Dr. Mercy Mwangangi from the Health ministry said the child had died from a pre-existing condition.
The child who died had a pre-existing condition. Necessary infection measures have been put in place including quarantine of staff. The area has been disinfected. #KomeshaCorona pic.twitter.com/2juLQAnaPt
— Ministry of Health (@MOH_Kenya) April 3, 2020
This comes even as the country confirmed 12 new cases bringing the total number of people who have been infected with the virus to 122.
“In the last 24 hours, we have managed to test a total of 362 samples out of which 12 people have tested positive for the coronavirus. Out of this number 11 are Kenyans and one Somali National. This now brings the total number of those who have tested positive for the disease in the country to 122,” she said.
Dr. Mwangangi said as of now they have tested a total of 1,433 samples nationally while other 617 are yet to be tested.
“We have so far monitored 1,721 contacts and out of this number 1,073 have been discharged. Currently, there are 648 contacts that we are actively tracing.”
She also called upon those hoarding oxygen gas cylinders to release them.
Minister for Industrialization Betty Maina said Kenya is now producing personal protective equipment (PPEs) and masks locally adding that Health Ministry and Kenya Bureau of Standards have already approved them and they are encouraging Kenyans to buy them.