Angola announced its first two cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, becoming the 38th African country to record a case.
The cases were confirmed by Health Minister Silvia Lutucuta, a days after the Southern African country started implementing a 15-day suspension of all international flights in and out of the country.
“Today we received results confirming two cases of patients infected with COVID-19,” Lutucuta said at a briefing on national broadcaster TPA.
The minister said the two are two male individuals in their 30s, who entered Angola from Portugal on the 17th and 18th of March.
Earlier this week, Angola announced a raft of measures aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19.
Among the new regulations include the prohibition of crossings at its land and sea borders.
COVID-19 cases continue to be reported in Africa, with over 900 cases recorded so far.
Various countries have imposed travel bans and also prohibited public gatherings in efforts to halt the spread of the virus.
Globally, more than 234,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported, with Europe being the worst affected.