The second confirmed COVID-19 case in Nigeria has tested negative to the virus, said the country’s health minister Osagie Ehanire on Friday.
The second case has been cleared from the virus and would be allowed to go home after the secondary screening, said Ehanire at a news conference in Abuja.
The health minister had earlier this week confirmed the second case was a contact of the index case and not a new importation into the country.
The case was one of the 40 people who had contact with the index case in Nigeria, an Italian that is now under clinical follow-up following isolation.
Ehanire said Nigeria would continue to screen all incoming travelers, and select those that fit the case definition for secondary screening.
“Following the declaration of a pandemic and increasing spread in countries, we have begun a review of our case definition,” he added.
No death has been recorded since Nigeria announced on February 28 that the country recorded the index case of COVID-19.