Foreign aid agency says South Sudan compound attacked by gunmen

0
108
Relief International said the attack took place on Sunday in a field office in Upper Nile State.PHOTO/AFP
Relief International said the attack took place on Sunday in a field office in Upper Nile State.PHOTO/AFP

An international aid organisation said Monday that a group of armed men had stormed their compound in North eastern South Sudan, assaulting and injuring five staff members.

Relief International said the attack took place on Sunday in a field office in Upper Nile State.

“Multiple gunmen, armed with assault rifles, pistols and knives, invaded a staff compound. During this assault, five of our staff were assaulted and sustained injuries,” the agency said in a statement.

“We have relocated our team to safety, and they are receiving all necessary care,” said Nancy Wilson, Relief International Chief Executive Officer.

“They endured a senseless act of violence in the course of their assignment providing life-saving care to the refugee community in Upper Nile State, South Sudan.”

United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator Alain Noudehou condemned the attack he said was carried out by men in uniform in the town of Bunj and insisted “the perpetrators be brought to justice immediately.”

Humanitarian workers have been repeatedly targeted with at least 115 killed since the country plunged into conflict in December 2013 after President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of plotting a coup against him.

The unrest has left nearly 400,000 dead and displaced millions.

A peace deal was signed in September last year and a ceasefire has largely held but efforts to form a power-sharing government have been repeatedly delayed.

Leave a Reply