A Congolese journalist who was vocal in the fight against Ebola has been killed in his home, the country’s army said on Sunday.
According to the army, the unidentified attackers raided Papy Mumbere Mahamba’s home in Lwebma, in the north-eastern province of Ituri, killing him and wounding his wife. His house was also burned down.
The current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed more than 2,100 people since August last year and is considered the country’s largest ever outbreak.
People working to stop its spread have been targeted in attacks, drawing condemnation from health authorities in the country as well as the United Nations.
BBC’s Will Ross says Mahamba’s murder is likely to have been fuelled by deep suspicion of the Ebola virus and mistrust of those who are working to stop it.
The journalist has just hosted an Ebola awareness programme on a community radio when the attack took place.
Professor Steve Ahuka, national coordinator of the fight against Ebola, confirmed the reports from the army that a “community worker” involved in the fight against Ebola had been killed.