The Supreme Court of Nigeria on Wednesday dismissed an appeal by the main opposition candidate Atiku Abubakar which sought to overturn the election tribunal’s ruling which upheld Muhammadu Buhari’s victory.
In March, Abubakar filed a petition challenging the victory of Buhari in the presidential election held in February.
However, the tribunal consisting of a bench of five judges ruled against the bid last month rejecting all three of Atiku’s claims.
A statement from Buhari’s spokesman said the president welcomed the court’s ruling and thanked the opposition for addressing its grievances using the legal route.
“Now, following this final legal bid before the highest court, it is time the country is afforded the right to move on – in the interest of all Nigerians – regardless of how they voted,” the statement said in part.
Buhari said that the government now must be enabled to focus solely on addressing the issues that concern Nigeria.
Buhari added that the opposition must now let the country move on and focus on its role of holding the administration to account for its decisions.
Buhari, of the All Progressives Congress party, was declared the winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) defeating Abubakar by 15.2 million votes to 11.3 million votes in the delayed vote marred by violence, allegations of rigging and logistical challenges.