Kenya closes site of Monday’s fatal classroom collapse

0
77
Rescue workers go through the rubble at the site of a collapsed school classroom, in Nairobi, Kenya, September 23, 2019. REUTERS/Njeri Mwangi
Kenya education Cabinet Secretary Professor George Magoha.Photo courtesy of Standard

Kenyan minister for education on Monday directed the closure of the school where 7 pupils lost their lives after a classroom collapsed.

Professor George Magoha ordered the closure of the Precious Talent Primary school in Dagoretti for four days to ensure safety measures are put in place.

The minister also announced that a multi-agency task-force had been established to look into what led to the collapse of the classroom.

“We have set up a multi-agency group comprising officials from the County Government, local leaders and ministries of Education, Interior and Coordination of National Government, and Health to work with the Kenya Red Cross to manage the situation. The team will also conduct thorough investigations on the possible causes of the tragedy and submit a report to me for action,” he said.

“In the meantime, we have asked learners to stay at their homes over the next four days as we put in place measures to ensure their safety of learning.”

Prof Magoha was speaking when he visited the scene of the incident where he said that proprietor failed to adhere to the Ministry’s safety assurance tests.

Picture courtesy of Capital FM-Kenya

He further emphasized that the government will ensure a public primary school is constructed in the area within the next four months.

Six pupils died at a local Catholic dispensary where they had been rushed for treatment, while the seventh body was pulled out of the rubble Monday morning.

64 others were taken to Kenyatta National Hospital with injuries.

The minister added that Precious Talent Primary School is duly registered with an enrollment of the 600 students.

Leave a Reply