Nigerian police confirms 4 killed in attack on official convoy

0
92
Nigerian Army soldiers stand at a base in Baga on August 2, 2019. - Intense fighting between a regional force and the Islamic State group in West Africa (ISWAP) has resulted in dozens of deaths, including at least 25 soldiers and more than 40 jihadists, in northeastern Nigeria. ISWAP broke away from Boko Haram in 2016 in part due to its rejection of indiscriminate attacks on civilians. Last year the group witnessed a reported takeover by more hardline fighters who sidelined its leader and executed his deputy. The IS-affiliate has since July 2018 ratcheted up a campaign of attacks against military targets. (Photo by AUDU MARTE / AFP) (Photo credit should read AUDU MARTE/AFP/Getty Images)
Nigerian Army soldiers stand at a base in Baga on August 2, 2019. (Photo credit AUDU MARTE/AFP/Getty Images)

Three policemen and a civilian were killed after a group of gunmen opened fire on a deputy governor’s convoy in central Nigeria, local police confirmed on Wednesday.

Emmanuel Akabe, deputy governor of the central state of Nasarawa, escaped unhurt, police spokesman Usman Samaila said.

The convoy, which came under attack on Tuesday, was taking Akabe and some of his aides to the Nigerian capital, Abuja, the spokesman said.

The gunmen fled the scene after the attack, he said.

An investigation has been launched to apprehend the attackers, Samaila added.

Leave a Reply