The death toll from Tanzania’s tragic fuel tanker explosion has risen to 89 after seven more people passed on, health officials said on Thursday.
Aminiel Aligaesha, the public relations officer at the Muhimbili National Hospital, confirmed the new deaths, saying health authorities were working round the clock to ensure the lives of victims still admitted in hospital are saved.
“Doctors and nurses are working round the clock to save the lives of 31 victims admitted to the hospital,” Aligaesha said.
Sixty bodies were buried on Sunday in a mass burial ceremony as the country comes to terms with the tragic event.
Reports indicate that the victims were trying to siphon fuel from the tanker after it overturned on a main road in Morogoro.
The explosion has prompted calls from some Tanzanians to have the government enact legislations to curb people from engaging in such acts in the future.
President John Magufuli however, while paying a visit to the injured victims in hospital, said it was not the time to judge those caught up in the accident.
The Tanzanian government earlier this week revealed plans to erect a monument in honor of the victims.