President Museveni hails China as a “reliable partner”


Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has praised China’s impact in Africa, saying the Asian giant “is a reliable partner and we thank them.”

Museveni is in China on a four-day official visit that will culminate in him attending the inaugural China-Africa Economic and Trade Expo.

The Ugandan leader thanked China – under the leadership of President Xi Jinping – for its role in Uganda and Africa’s development.

Museveni made the remarks after meeting President Xi for bilateral talks on Tuesday at the Great Hall of the People in the capital Beijing.

“Besides their role in supporting our African liberation cause, I also thank the Chinese government, especially under President Jinping, for supporting Africa’s development. In Uganda, China has helped us build two dams and set up industrial parks,” President Museveni said.

He announced that the two countries had signed a raft of agreements on various sectors.

“We also witnessed the signing of several memoranda of understanding between our countries that will see our countries cooperate closely in the fields of foreign affairs, trade and economy. China is a reliable partner and we thank them,” he said.

President Museveni is a big admirer of China’s work in Africa. While launching the Chinese-built Isimba hydro-power dam, he hailed China’s work ethic that enabled them to accomplish tasks in good time while ensuring high quality.

In that case, the Chinese government funded 85 percent of the project while Uganda covered the remaining 15 percent.

China has funded several mega projects across Africa, and is seen as a key player in the continent’s infrastructural growth.

Among some of the Chinese-funded projects in Africa include the Standard Gauge Railway in Kenya, the African Union headquarters in Ethiopia, the new Zimbabwean parliament, the Merowe hydropower dam in Sudan among others.

After his visit of Beijing, President Museveni will head to Hunan Province for the China-Africa Economic and Trade Expo, which he earlier said his delegation would explore deeper cooperation with China in various fields.

The 2019 Forum will be held between June 27-29 in Changsha, the capital of China’s central Hunan province.

53 African countries have confirmed attending the expo. The United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the World Food Programme and the World Trade Organization are also attending.

Hunan will host the forum once every two years, a sign of close relations between the Central Chinese province and Africa.

The 2019 China-Africa Economic and Trade Expo will be held under the theme “Win-Win Cooperation for Closer China-Africa Economic and Trade Partnership”

Leave a Reply