Uganda’s Ministry of Health on Friday said that it had not registered any new confirmed cases of the Ebola Virus Disease in the country since the last registered case nearly a week ago.
In a statement, the Health ministry also confirmed that there are no new suspect cases under admission.
Additionally, the ministry said that more than 450 people have been vaccinated against Ebola in Kasese district, the place where the first case of the current outbreak was reported in Uganda.
A vaccination campaign is also being undertaken in 13 areas, including Bwera General Hospital, near the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, where three suspected cases were previously admitted.
The news comes following the death of a 19-year-old man on Thursday at a hospital in Naguru who had shown Viral Hemorrhagic Fever symptoms. However, the results of blood samples taken from him showed that he tested negative for Ebola and other diseases, including Marburg, Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever, Rift Valley Fever and Sosuga.
Earlier this week, the World Health Organistion Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said that they were in agreement that the situation has been contained.
Three people, who were members of the same family, have died so far in Uganda. They were among 6 people who travelled from the Democratic Republic of Congo while still being monitored as suspect cases following a burial of the grandfather who died of Ebola.
Ugandans have also been urged to stop spreading false rumours about the Ebola outbreak and report any suspected cases to the nearest health facility.
The latest Ebola outbreak, the 10th in the DR Congo and the 6th in Uganda, has killed over 1,400 people and is the second worst such outbreak in history.