President Donald Trump has said he finds it “hard to believe” that Iran’s downing of a U.S. drone was intentional.
“I have a feeling that it was a mistake… It’s all going to work out,” he said.
The remarks came following a call from White House to Congressional leaders for a briefing in the Situation Room regarding Iran.
The latest message seems to be a change of tune from the American leader, who had earlier said via his personal Twitter account that “Iran made a very big mistake!”
The shooting down of the U.S. drone happened on Thursday, with Iran saying the unmanned aircraft had entered Iranian airspace.
“Iran is not seeking war with any country, but we are fully prepared to defend Iran,” said Major Gen. Hossein Salami, the recently appointed chief of Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, after the incident.
Asked by journalists whether the U.S would retaliate, President Trump said they would “soon find out.”