Luis Enrique has resigned from his position as the head coach of Spain’s national football team just 11 months after taking charge, the country’s football federation RFEF announced on Wednesday.
The 49-year-old did not attend La Roja’s get-together before their game against Malta on 26 March, hurriedly leaving the squad and returning home to Barcelona.
Since then, he has not returned to an active role with the national team.
In a statement on Wednesday, the tactician said his decision to step down was “due to the reasons which had prevented me from fulfilling my duties as normal since last March.”
Those reasons have however not been clarified, and the Spanish football federation urged the public to respect Enrique’s privacy.
Enrique signed a two-year contract in July 2018, replacing Julen Lopetegui who was sacked on the eve of the 2018 FIFA World Cup
“It was a decision Luis Enrique took himself, which we are grateful for,” said Luis Rubiales, RFEF president said.
Assistant coach Robert Moreno has been appointed to replace the former Barcelona manager until EURO 2020.
Moreno has deputized Enrique for close to a decade.
Following his appointment to become head coach, he said he would work to continue the work left by Enrique.
“It’s bittersweet; more sour than sweet,” said Moreno. “I always thought about being the head coach but never under these circumstances. I take this assignment with great responsibility. It is difficult to face this challenge, but we are going to work with honesty, professionalism and the idea of maintaining the work left by Luis at the top.”