Death toll from fighting in Libya rises to 121: WHO

This picture taken on April 12, 2019 shows a smoke plume rising from an air strike behind a tank and technicals (pickup trucks mounted with turrets) belonging to forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA), during clashes in the suburb of Wadi Rabie about 30 kilometres south of the capital Tripoli. (Photo by Mahmud TURKIA / AFP) (Photo credit should read MAHMUD TURKIA/AFP/Getty Images)
Members of Libyan National Army (LNA) commanded by Khalifa Haftar, get ready before heading out of Benghazi to reinforce the troops advancing to Tripoli, in Benghazi, Libya April 13, 2019. REUTERS/Esam Omran Al-Fetori

The World Health Organisation says 121 people have been killed and 561 wounded in clashes between the eastern-based army and the UN-backed government’s forces around Libya’s capital Tripoli.

At least three health workers, including two doctors, have also been killed.

WHO said it is sending medical supplies and health-staff support for first and second-line responders.

WHO also confirmed two more ambulances were attacked in the fighting raising the number to eight since violence began.  The organization strongly condemned the attacks on vehicles of health workers.

Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) launched a military campaign on April 4 to take over the capital Tripoli where the UN-backed government is based.

The UN-backed government of Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj pledged to protect Tripoli. Forces loyal to al-Serraj have so far managed to hold off Haftar’s forces.

The offensive triggered the latest outbreak of violence in the country since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

A series of successful military campaigns by the LNA have brought the east and much of southern Libya under Haftar’s control.

The United Nations has called for a temporary humanitarian truce to allow for the provision of emergency services and the voluntary passage of civilians from areas of conflict.