Man suspected in disappearance of albino boy dies in police custody


The Association of Persons with Albinism (APAM) says the death of a key suspect in the abduction of a 14-year-old boy with albinism is a setback in their quest for justice.

APAM president Overstone Kondowe made the remarks following the death of the suspect, Buleya Lule, in police custody.

“This is a great setback in our quest for justice. How can a key suspect die in prison before revealing where he sold Goodson [Makanjira].

“Deaths of similar fashion also occurred in the case of Eunice & Chakupatsa, APAM suspects foul play,” Kondowe wrote on Facebook.

According to Kondowe, Lule’s death raises a lot of questions and says a post-mortem by a pathologist should be done before the suspect is buried.

The main opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP) has also asked government agencies to probe the death of the suspect.

“We demand an urgent independent inquest on the latest news that the prime suspect in the abduction & killing of Goodson Makanjira has passed on in the hands of the Malawi Police Service after our law enforcers asked to grant them more time for him to appear in court,” the party said in a statement yesterday.

Lule’s family also wants the government to investigate. They suspect the police killed him.

“My brother never complained of any ailments”, said Lule’s sister Anne. Even yesterday, when he appeared in court, he looked healthy. The police have killed him.”

Confirming the incident was Lilongwe Police Kingsley Dandaula, who said the suspect was reported unwell and they rushed him to Kamuzu Central where he passed on.

“We are yet to get a post-mortem report on what has killed him,” Dandaula said.

Two other suspects who admitted abducting the 14-year-old albino boy told a court in Lilongwe on Wednesday that Lule promised to give them K800,000 for kidnapping the teen.

The suspects who included Goodson’s stepfather Kumbilani Patson said the boy was given to Buleya alive.

“I was enticed by a promise that I would get K800 000. I was told that a market is already there and I would get the money instantly which is not the case,” the stepfather said on Wednesday.

The boy who was abducted from his house over a week ago is still missing and the two suspects told the court they do not know whether Goodson was alive or not.

However, Lule did not disclose where he took the boy to or if he paid the said K800,000 to people who abducted the boy.