Several people were injured in a huge explosion probably caused by a gas leak in central Paris, a police source said.
The massive blast rocked buildings hundreds of metres away and blew out the entire ground floor of a building at rue Trevise, in the Grands Boulevards central Paris shopping district.
Officials said at least five people were injured in the blast, which blew out windows in an 100m radius and sent debris raining into surrounding streets.
Residents living nearby in the 6th arrondissement were evacuated after the accident, which may have been caused by a gas cooker according to police sources.
Paris police are on high alert on a ninth consecutive Saturday of yellow vest protests, with large parts of the city centre blocked off by riot police.