WHO: DR Congo Ebola response resumes in volatile region

0
203

The World Health Organization (WHO) says its workers are now able to access all Ebola-affected areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo despite the security challenges in the country.

The organization last month lamented that continued clashes made it impossible for its workers to access some parts of Beni, the epicenter of the epidemic.

On Tuesday however, WHO said that under government leadership and in collaboration with partner agencies, the Ebola response has resumed in force. However, it warned, further disruptions and security issues, could seriously impact the complex effort to end the outbreak.

The agency revealed that some 577 confirmed cases and 377 deaths have been recorded since the outbreak was declared in August last year. The UN agency also stated that 220 people have recovered and more than 56,500 have been vaccinated.

The security situation in Beni was one of the reasons for the electoral commission’s postponement of elections in the city, alongside Yumbi and Butembo.

The elections however went on in the country’s other regions, and results are expected to begin streaming in from Wednesday.