CAF says “no decision” taken to re-assign 2023 AFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that no decision has been reached to force Cote d’Ivoire to host the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) rather than the 2021 edition.

CAF President earlier this year said in a television interview that Cameroon – which has been stripped of rights to host the 2019 AFCON – had been offered the next edition in 2021 instead of Cote d’Ivoire.

Cameroon was stripped of the rights to host the 2019 tournament due to poor preparation and security.

“We confirm no decision was taken by the executive committee,” CAF said.

“We are waiting first for the host for 2019 and then we will see.”

The continental body said on Saturday that Egypt and South Africa had tabled bids to replace Cameroon as host of the 2019 AFCON.

It said a decision was due to be made on January 9.

Meanwhile, the Court of Arbitration for Sport confirmed it had received an appeal from the Ivory Coast Football Federation (FIF) against the “decision” to remove the 2021 hosting rights.

“The FIF was surprised to learn that the president of CAF decided on his own authority, without any prior consultation … to reassign the 2021 edition, which was entrusted until then to Ivory Coast, to Cameroon,” a statement from FIF read in part.