Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombing in Nigeria’s Borno state leaves 13 dead

At least 13 people were on Saturday left dead after a blast went off in a market in the northeast Nigerian town of Biu in Borno state, officials said confirm.

According to Victor Isuku, police spokesman for Borno State, 53 others were injured in the suspected Boko Haram suicide bombing. Two bombers were killed in the process.

The blasts struck while aid workers were distributing food to people affected by the eight-year conflict with Boko Haram, said Aliyu Idrisa, a community leader.

The attack is reminiscent of other attacks Boko Haram has carried in the region, use of suicide bombers often women and girls, to attack crowded public spaces.

Last week, a suicide bombing at a mosque in the northeastern town of Mubi killed at least 50 people, one of the deadliest attacks in recent years.

The government has said its long-term plan for the northeast is to corral civilians inside fortified garrison towns and effectively cede the countryside to Boko Haram.

That plan and a string of deadly attacks have raised questions about assertions by the Nigerian government and military that Boko Haram’s Islamist insurgency has been all but wiped out.