Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta sworn in for second term

Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy, William Ruto were on Friday sworn in for a second term at Nairobi’s Kasarani stadium.

Thousands of people gathered at the stadium to witness the ceremony with many Kenyans expressing relief that the day had finally arrived.

The country’s Supreme Court annulled the results of the August vote ordering a new vote within three months. The re-run was set for October 26th. The opposition leader Raila Odinga boycotted the re-run which Kenyatta won with 98%.

It is hoped Kenyatta will steer the country back towards stability with one of his biggest challenges being unifying the nation.

“The elections are now firmly behind us … I will devote my time and energy to build bridges,” he told a rapturous crowd as he was sworn in for a second, five-year term in a sports stadium in the capital of Nairobi.

“The election we have just concluded is probably one of the longest ever held in our continent’s history,” said Kenyatta, adding that his inauguration on the 123rd day since the country first went to vote marked “the end, and I repeat the end, of our electoral process”.

“It has been a trying time but once again Kenyans have shown their resilience,” he added.

Here is part of his inauguration speech.

Meanwhile, opposition members tried to stage a rally in Nairobi, but they were dispersed by police.

Opposition leader Raila Odinga had called on his supporters to boycott the inauguration.

The rally was meant to be for the victims of election violence that has been ongoing sporadically for months now. Odinga formed a national resistance movement against the ruling Jubilee party.

He accuses the ruling party of stealing the election, overseeing rampant corruption, directing abuse by the security forces and neglecting vast swathes of the country, including Odinga’s heartland in the west.

“This election of October 26 is fake. We do not recognize it,” Odinga told supporters from the rooftop of a car.

Shortly after that, riot police teargassed his convoy and charged his supporters.

Riot police had sealed off the scene of the rally early in the morning, and fired teargas at residents, trying to prevent a crowd from gathering, as a helicopter hovered overhead.

Danstan Omari, a political analyst and advocate of the High Court of Kenya spoke to CGTN’s Karen Roberts on the way forward for Kenya.