The US army conducted two airstrikes against ISIS in Libya, the US Africa Command confirmed on Tuesday.
The command said the strikes were carried out on November 17 and 19, though did not reveal any casualty figures.
“The first strike occurred at approximately 9:30 a.m. local Libya time, Nov. 17, and the second separate strike occurred at approximately 12:30 p.m. local Libya time, Nov. 19. Both strikes occurred near Fuqaha,” it said in a statement.
Libya has been rid by conflict since the 2011 ouster and killing of former long serving leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The conflict created a political void which jihadist groups took advantage of to set up bases.
In its statement, US Africom said it would continue its efforts to tackling the terror threat in the country.
“The United States stands by our Libyan counterparts efforts to counter terror threats and defeat ISIS in Libya. We are committed to maintaining pressure on the terror network and preventing them from establishing safe haven,” it said.
Africom has been conducting airstrikes in Somalia too, after President Donald Trump earlier this year permitted Pentagon to launch airstrikes there.
The strikes are seen as Trump administration’s approach against terrorism.
As part of our continued cooperation, in coordination with the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), U.S. forces conducted two precision airstrike in Libya against ISIS militants on Nov. 17 and Nov. 19. – https://t.co/1sQuQ3C05H pic.twitter.com/sCO844u8gg
— US AFRICOM (@USAfricaCommand) November 21, 2017