Zimbabwe’s Health Minister has confirmed nine deaths in the country following a fresh typhoid outbreak.
About 2,225 cases of the water-borne disease have been recorded since late October.
The minister David Parirenyetwa on Wednesday said 12 cases have been confirmed in the capital Harare, up from seven recorded on Sunday adding that a treatment centre has been set up in city to deal with the rising number of patients.
“So far, from October 20 last year, Harare has reported 126 suspected cases, 12 confirmed and two deaths,” Dr Parirenyatwa told journalists.
“A total of 2,225 suspected cases have been reported nationally, 85 of which have been confirmed positive and nine fatalities.
“Harare city has contributed 76 per cent of the overall reported cases.”
The latest outbreak is blamed on water shortages and poor hygiene, the Africa Review reports.
Zimbabwe suffered its worst cholera outbreak between 2008 and 2009 after more than 4,000 people died from nearly 100,000 reported cases.
The outbreak coincided with a collapse in the country’s health services due to hyperinflation and political unrest.