Burundi on Monday banned three UN investigators from entering the country after they accused the government of being responsible for abuses violating human rights.
The three investigators; Pablo de Greiff from Colombia, Christof Heyns from South Africa and Maya Sahli-Fadel of Algeria had been appointed in December to lead the independent probe.
In a letter sent by the Foreign Minister Alain Aime Nyamitwe, the Burundian government said that the three UN investigators were declared persona non grata with immediate effect. AFP reports.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric expressed disapproval of Burundi’s decision.
“It’s critical that Burundi and every other country cooperate fully with UN human rights mechanism and that is including working with those representing it,” he said.
The three experts had concluded in a report released last month that “gross human rights violations have and are taking place, committed primarily by state agents and those linked to them.”
The decision to bar the three UN experts came just days after Burundi announced plans to withdraw from the International Criminal Court, warning of a “plot” to harm the country.