South African state prosecutors will on Monday respond to a court ruling ordering the review of its 2009 decision to drop 783 corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma, a spokesman said on Friday.
The country’s high court last month ruled that the April 2009 decision to drop the charges, which allowed Zuma to run for presidency in the elections held the same month, was irrational and ought to be reviewed.
“We said initially that we’re applying our minds (on the ruling) … We’re going to be briefing the media on Monday on the way forward,” the National Prosecuting Authority’s spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku said.
The hundreds of corruption charges that were laid against the incumbent relate to a major government arms deal arranged in the late 1990s.
Zuma however said last month that an investigation into the deal had found no evidence of graft of fraud. Critics have denounced those findings as a cover-up and said they would continue to campaign for justice.