Italy says two citizens kidnapped in Libya may have been killed

italy

Italy’s Foreign Ministry says two of the four Italian construction workers who were kidnapped in Libya last July may have been killed.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the ministry said the families of the two, Fausto Piano and Salvatore Failla, had been informed that their loved ones “could” be the victims of a shooting near Sabrata that was depicted in recent published images.

The ministry however stressed that it could not confirm the identities because its officials don’t have access to the bodies.

The four Italians were working for the Italian construction company Bonatti when they were kidnapped on July 19 near an industrial complex owned by the Italian energy giant Eni in the western Libyan city of Mellitah.