Governments and international aid organizations have swung into action to help Nepal cope with the Earthquake disaster that has left more than 3000 people dead.
China sent a 62-member search-and-rescue operation. Within six hours of their arrival, they saved one person and, encouragingly, are optimistic of finding more.
Media sources report the number of injured to be at more than six thousand as well as deaths in neighboring countries.
Thousands of people have spent a second night in the cold after the 7.8-magnitude quake, which also triggered deadly avalanches around Mount Everest.
Officials have warned that the number of casualties could rise as rescue teams reach remote mountainous areas of western Nepal.
Initial reports suggest that many communities, especially those close to mountainsides, suffered significant quake damage.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Komal Singh Bam told the Associated Press Monday that the death toll had risen to 3,218 people but he gave no further details.
So far 18 people have also been confirmed dead in an avalanche that swept through the Mount Everest base camp in the wake of the earthquake. Another 61 people were killed in neighboring India.
Meanwhile, aid groups began receiving reports that suggested Saturday’s magnitude-7.8 earthquake had either completely destroyed remote mountain villages or cut them off from easy access to help.
Landslides hindered rescue teams that tried to use mountain trails to reach those in need, said Prakash Subedi, chief district official in the Gorkha region, where the quake was centered.