World leaders have condemned the shooting in Tunisia that has left 19 dead- 17 tourists and two locals. The death toll could rise. Tunisia’s PM called the act cowardly. While the EU lay the blame at Islamist militants
“Plainly, this is a terrorist outrage,” Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told parliament on Thursday. It was an attack by Islamist extremists on a fledgling democracy, which so far had been able to resist the kind of actions characterised by al-Qaeda and ISIL, he said.
The shooters opened fire on the tourists as they got off a bus before chasing them into the museum. Seventeen tourists were killed in the attack, including visitors from Japan, Italy, Colombia, Australia, France, Poland and Spain, officials said.
Two Tunisians, one a police officer, were also killed in Wednesday’s attack. Security forces have killed two gunmen but are continuing the search for accomplices.
Officials say that more than 40 people, including tourists and Tunisians, were injured.
President Beji Caid Essebsi said the country was “in a war with terror”.
“These monstrous minorities do not frighten us,” he said in remarks broadcast on national TV. “We will resist them until the deepest end without mercy.
“Democracy will win and it will survive.”
Prime Minister Habib Essid said: “It is a critical moment in our history, and a defining moment for our future.”
At the time of the attack, deputies in the neighbouring parliamentary building were discussing anti-terrorism legislation.
Parliament was evacuated, but later reconvened for an extraordinary session in the evening.